VUSTA-UNDP Project is currently recruiting candidate for the post of Project Manager, as below TOR.
Candidates with interest are requested to submit CV and a cover letter to the following address no later than 5PM Hanoi time, 21 April 2010:
Suite 3B-21, 53 Nguyen Du, Hai Ba Trung, Ha Noi
Attention : Ms. Nguyen Thi Bich Diep
Subject title : “Application for Project Manager”
Or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TOR for Project Manager
Duration of Services: 1 year full-time, from May 2010
Location: Ha Noi
The non-state sector in Viet Nam has experienced rapid growth in recent years. This development has been prompted by the establishment of a broad legal framework that reflect the importance of grassroots democracy, people’s participation and contribution from non-governmental organisations (NGOs) for socio-economic development and equitable growth. The participation of various types of organisations in the delivery of public and social services is also encouraged in the in the five-year socio-economic development plan (SEDP) of the Government of Viet Nam.
To meet the need of coordinating and bringing together people with similar professional interests in science, culture and solidarity, three professional unions were established during the 1980s, even before the reform process in the country started in 1986: VUSTA for science and technology, VWAA (today VULA) for culture, arts and literature and VUPSFO (today VUFO) for friendship and peace. Among them, VUSTA’s (Viet Nam Union of Science and Technology Associations) overall responsibility is to contribute to the industrialisation and modernisation of the country, and has been traditionally realised by representing and coordinating Vietnamese scholars in the area of science and technology, as well as through knowledge dissemination.
VUSTA has a dual membership base; one based on associations of different scientific disciplines/professions - Central Discipline Associations, and the other made up of local branches of Discipline Associations - Local Unions. At the same time, some Units 81 are Affiliated Organisations of VUSTA, and they look upon the Union as a facilitator in establishing partnerships with domestic and international partners. The Union undertakes a range of activities, such as issuing publications, prizes and awards, running networks and training events, providing consultancy services, etc. In the last few years, VUSTA has also been the organiser or host of several international conferences.
Since its establishment, the role of the Union though has grown beyond the fields of science and technology. VUSTA is currently experiencing a rapid change in its membership base and scope of work, including the new mandate to provide inputs to and monitor Government policies, programmes and projects.
To help VUSTA take on this new mandate, a project between the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and VUSTA has been signed that will assist VUSTA in building more effective partnerships, improving information sharing and networking in an effort to better meet the needs of VUSTA’s membership.
More specifically the project will:
· Strengthen VUSTA’s ability to represent its member organisations’ interests in contributing to the Government’s policy-making processes, so that VUSTA can better represent, promote and protect its member organisations’ rights and interests by monitoring and providing inputs to government policies, programmes and projects.
· Strengthen VUSTA’s internal governance structures and capacity to work as an effective coordinating organisation, so that VUSTA’s management structure is improved and made more efficient and transparent.
· Strengthening VUSTA’s capacity to become an effective bridge for its member organisations, so that the Union is able to create long-term and sustainable linkages between its members, with the Government as well as with international organisations.
For the project the position of Project Manager is to be filled.
The Position: Under the direct supervision of the National Project Director, the Project Manager is responsible for the operational management of the project, in accordance with the project document, approved work plans and within UNDP and government policies and regulations.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include:
1. Assume, under the authority of the Project Director, operational responsibility for the day-to-day execution of the project in accordance with procedures and practices agreed between UNDP and VUSTA.
2. Prepare annual work plans, budgets and consultancy packages for approval by the NPD, prior to submission to the Project Steering Committee.
3. Draft and/or coordinate the preparation of project quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports as scheduled and assist the NPD with undertaking project review meetings.
4. Draft and/or coordinate the preparation of TORs for the procurement of consultancy inputs, study visits, research programmes and all other project activities for approval by the NPD and UNDP.
5. Initiate and mobilise project inputs according to approved project work plans.
6. Administer finance, property and accountability by ensuring that:
§ project funds are disbursed properly in accordance with approved budgets
§ accounting records and supporting documents are kept, and ready to be audited at any time
§ financial reports are prepared in accordance with VUSTA and UNDP financial procedures
7. Supervise project staff and coordinate the inputs of international and national experts.
8. Ensure the NPD is up-to-date on project progress, implementing issues and emerging risks/problems as well as suggest remedial actions.
9. Encourage and coordinate the inputs of project parties to fully participate in and benefit from project activities.
§ A post-graduate degree.
§ At least five years experience in the project subject area.
§ Knowledge and experience in project management
§ Good inter-personal and team building skills.
§ Demonstrated capacity to take initiatives and achieve results.
§ Good spoken and writing skills in both Vietnamese and English.
§ Familiarity with UNDP financed technical assistance projects is an asset.